Wednesday, May 21, 2008

So near...


Looking back, there was something wrong yesterday, even before the game had begun. The crowd just didn’t seem to hit the right decibels. I said to myself, perhaps it’s because it’s an afternoon game, but then I remembered the game against the Daredevils and how my heart was beating along with drums. “No, no”, I consoled myself saying, “that was a Sunday, today the stadium is almost packed and its bang in the middle of the week.” But still something just seemed of the mark. It’s not everyday at Wankhede that the “Sachin! Sachin!” chant doesn’t quite sound like the chorus of fifty five thousand people. Even the Mexican wave didn’t get going.

I am truly devastated and still in a state of bewilderment about what happened against the Kings XI. I don’t mean to be one of those fans who criticize with the power of hindsight but even before the game it was easy to make out that there was an error in tactics.

What was the need to change a winning combination in such a crucial game?

I say crucial because if we had won we would have moved into second place and practically cemented our place in the semi-finals. Besides, it was our last home game in the league stages and possibly in the competition, if things take a drastic turn for the worse. With the crowd behind you, a familiar wicket and a strong opposion, doesn’t it make sense to play the best squad you can muster?

I feel sympathetic for inexperienced Yeligati and Chitnis who were brought in for the match knowing that the pitch had eased out over the past couple of games and was looking a beautiful batting wicket. I have never seen them before but I’m certain if they are in such a great side, they are destined for great things. These are young players who have never been on such a large stage before. I’m certain their confidence must have taken a beating as Yeligati went for 43 runs and Chitnis took 2 for 40 in each of their four overs. What I’m trying to say here is, what was the need to play two new spinners when Jayasuria is quite effective with the ball in this version of the game and why was Dominic Thornely, who has been so effective with bat and ball, left out of the squad?

Strangely neither Pollock nor Nehra finish their spells? And surely, with figures of 3 overs 12 for 1 Pollock should have been bowling that last over where Nehra gave away 18 runs. Talking about bad decisions, don’t get me started on the running between the wickets and the pro-pink jersey umpires’.

“It’s over!” that’s all I have to tell myself now and stop complaining.

In the end it was a great game and ‘ah!’ the beauty of watching the great man score a marvellous fifty, right before your eyes. There was something different yesterday when he walked out to bat. You could sense it. His walk seemed altered; a little more determined, the way he’d look at the field settings after each ball and plot and plan his innings. It was easy to predict that it was going to be his turn with the bat and today and Surya was going to be the onlooker.

I was lucky to watch the game yesterday, unfortunately for me, it has left me looking a little strange, the nails on my fingers have disappeared!

No comments:

Post a Comment